Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Married Life


And the other, written on September 2, 2009:

"A home without a man in it? It gets a little museum-ish. Not bad. Beautiful, and very very very still. Stewarded only by a woman, objects, life, can get wierd to the touch, overly pristine."

~ Heather Stellers, from "O, the Oprah Magazine", article How Many Coffee Dates Does it Take to Find the One?

I was reading this article and read this statement. We've (more like I've) been trying to adjust to living with a boy- the three changes of clothes he goes through in a day- the way he gets a new cup every single time he gets a drink- the mail that gets opened and then left in pell-mell fasion on the coffee table- how he brings home some change of clothes or item once a day from his parents house (no, he hasn't moved in all the way yet) - and then trying to put things away after him... It's exhausting.

After reading these few statements I realized- I've been trying to fit him into my world, trying to arrange him into my space. It's not my space, it's our space, together. And he's not trying to work around me, he's just being himself. We're both just being ourselves. His style is more laid back- mine has to have everything in order before I go to bed or leave the house. Our house. Our home.

My old house was "pristine", organized, spotless, exactly the way I wanted it. But cold, now I realize it was cold. It in no way had the warmth that my new house does- our new home- with dirty cups and laundry from my husband that works so hard from sun-up to sun-down. The home where I come home and can't wait to fix dinner because my husband will be home soon- home to me-

*sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment