Thursday, December 17, 2009

Family


The other night, we were eating at a restruant and prayed before our meal, as we always do. The guy that was sitting at the next table came over to us on his way out and told us how encouraged he was to see us praying in public, that he'd been watching every other table in the place and no one else had prayed, and to keep up the good work. He complimented us further saying that it was so nice to see such a "young family" showing such a commitment to God.

It was a very very nice moment, one I will probably remember for a long time. Not only did we edify him, but he reassured us that we were doing what was right. It just made me sit there and quietly smile to myself and say "aww..." Then i realized he had called us a "family".

I never thought of Scott and I as a "family". We are definately a couple, but the word family seems reserved for those with children, or with your parents and grandparents, aunts, cousins and so on. It made the fact that we are married and are a family sink in even deeper. We are each other's primary family now. Not our parents, not our siblings. Scott and I. The weight and depth of that thought just makes the rest of my mind stop. My heart is happy and overwhelmed all at the same time.

This concept comes at a very opportune time. I have been apprehesive about this Christmas season: my first on call, my first away from home, and my first with Scott's family. BUT my first with Scott. Exciting, yet so weird. I have no idea what is going to happen, what traditions we'll start, if any, what moments we'll share together.

But to realize that I am with my family, the only family I really need. Scott, the love of my life, the man I love with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment