Thursday, September 30, 2010

Calluses

“You can read quite a story in the calluses and lines….” ~ Holly Dunn

This is going to sound strange, but I like the calluses on my husband’s hands. Some women would pull away from a hand that was rough and scratchy, but it serves to remind me that Scott works so hard to provide for his family, and for me. The calluses at the junction between his palm and his fingers are from driving the tractor to mow, rake, bail, haul, or put out hay for the cows. The ones between his thumb and forefinger are from stripping milk out of the teats of hundreds of cows a day; all of this from hard labor. Somehow, I don’t mind when I hold his hand and I can feel the hard knots. I don’t mind the scratchy-ness when he caresses my face. He loves me, he loves his lifestyle, and he is blessed to be able to work hard. And I love him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment