Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Truck

After 5 years of searching, test driving, contemplating, budget-maneuvering and endless discussion, Scott Holloway has finally bought a new truck!!!

So actually it's our truck, but I have yet to drive it. I have my own truck (well, it's the clinic's) and I will continue to drive it the vast majority of the time. When we make trips or go out of town to shop or eat, we'll take his. He still has his old truck and will drive it back and forth to the dairy and the dairy may actually buy it from him/us.

I'm really excited for him. It's his first brand new vehicle and he is so excited about it, it's sorta cute, he has a spring in his step (I'd call it a strut, but he gets made about that). Also, it has 4 doors, so he can take his buddies around. It's not the all-out, 4WD, 1 ton pick-up that he always wanted, but it works for now, for what we need, and for what we can afford. It's a good fit and a good compromise (I personally would have gotten a safe, fuel efficient, cheap car, but we weren't buying a car for me). Another big plus, it's something he can be proud of. I think he gets down on himself sometimes because he's not able to put his degrees to work and isn't earning what he's worth. We know that material things don't make us who we are, but it does get to us sometimes when our friends are buying land and building houses.

Okay, so most people would just go out and buy a car. What you have to realize is that his old truck is a '99 that he's driven for 10 years. My old car was a '99 and I drove it for 9 years and then my cousin drove it for another year after that. We squeeze every last dime out of our cars- like I said, E-N-D-L-E-S-S discussion. So this really was a major decision. Also, this little purchase is our first major one as a married couple, so a giant stepping stone. Another good thing is that we took a hard look at our budget, savings, spending and credit score and we're doing awesome for being so young and having so much school loan debt :) Yay! We're financially secure.... for now. What's funny/befudling about this decision is that another major, forever life-changing decision was made with exactly one sentence. I will never understand that man- but this has taught me a lot about him and made me fall in love with him all over again! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment