Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Emergency Rooms

Disclaimer: In no way do I mean to undermine the education or training of ER doctors or staff, especially those in level 1 trauma centers. I admire your training, skills, and instinct. Also, in no way do I intend to make myself out to be the high-and-mighty, I-can-do-better-than-you veterinarian. Just need to gripe a little.

So, way back in February I got to make a trip to the ER for the first time since I myself became a doctor. I was tube feeding a newborn calf that decided to pitch a wal-eyed fit and throw himself on the ground. The corner of his tooth caught the skin between my thumb and first finger on my left hand (thank heavens!) and I got three sutures. I'll spare you the gory pictures- you're welcome. Anyhow, turns out I'm a bit of a wimp when it comes to human lacerations, fractures or other severe injuries, especially when they occur to my body. Because I got all sweaty and white and shaky, my sweet MIL insisted I go to the ER and that I didn't need to drive myself.

So the reception and nursing staff were wonderful. They were kind, efficient, friendly, good and gold. The nurse even let me keep the instruments from my suture kit (they just throw them away!) and they are now autoclaved and in my truck for emergency purposes.

The doctor, however, was quite terrible. First of all, he didn't clean my wound. What part of "I cut my hand on a calf's tooth at a dairy" makes the wound sound sterile? No scrubbing, no flushing. He didn't even clean the blood off the rest of my hand when he was done suturing. Second, he didn't completely block some of the wound with lidocaine, so when he started I could feel him taking "bites" with the needle and feel the pull of the suture. Then, he overlapped the skin with the sutures instead of them being "apposed." And, his sutures had entirely too much tension to allow for good wound healing and blood flow. Then the nurse put woven gauze over the sutures and taped it to my hand which stuck and pulled when I changed the bandage. The he decided that I needed an ace bandage for "support." Are you kidding me???? He at least did have the presence of mind to give me a tetanus booster and start me on antibiotics- good think since he didn't properly clean a contaminated wound......

Next time I'll call Dr. Myers after I attempt to do it myself!

Okay, I'm done- thanks for letting me rant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment