Friday, May 13, 2011

Call Me Unpatriotic

Nearly two weeks ago, my regularly scheduled programming was interrupted by the president announcing that Osama bin Laden had been killed by a SEAL team in his compound in Pakistan.

An audible cry rang out across the country, along with many tears, some at-a-boys, and an all-out celebration of patriotism. I must admit, my initial reaction following the announcement was to give Scott a high five (un-returned, I might add). Then doubt that he was really dead, followed by the feeling that it didn't really matter as far as terrorism goes, someone else will just step up. Then the images of the revelers flashed on the screen. Thousands, if not millions, of Americans (and other nations) crazily celebrating our "victory." And I felt guilty. And embarrassed. And unpatriotic.

It occurred to me that everyone was celebrating some guy's death. We were congratulating men that shot someone. We were out for vengeance, and 10 years after the largest attack on American soil, we got him back. The death of one man in exchange for the death of thousands. People demanded photographs as proof- of a man shot in the eye. Parents, grandparents, husbands, wives, friends, all breathed a sigh of relief as the man that killed their loved ones got the punishment he deserved. And I can not sit across from any one of them and tell them they are wrong.

"Vengeance is mine," ~Deuteronomy 32:35

My God is weeping. A man that he created lived a terrible, sinful life and never knew the loving God that I knew. And now he will never have the chance. My God wept on 9-11, too, for those souls that will never get to come home. My God weeps for the soldiers that are fighting a pointless battle, who take lives on command, and those who come home to broken families, changed forever. My God wept when thousands, if not millions, celebrated the death of bin Laden. My God looks at me daily and shakes his head and sheds a tear when I sin and separate myself from His love.

As a friend put it: Did Osama deserve to die? Yes. Do I also deserve to die? You bet.

"For it is appointed once for man to die, and after that comes the judgement." ~Hebrews 9:27

You see, it is not our job to judge. Our job is to strive to live as Christ did, and to seek forgiveness when we fail on a daily basis. We will face the same judgement that bin Laden did, and we'd better be ready to answer for ourselves.

Another thought keeps haunting me. As I watch the images of people dancing around in the streets, singing and chanting words of patriotism, and decorating places with balloons, ribbons, and well-wishes, I wonder, "Is this what Jerusalem was like after Christ's death on the cross?" Were the Pharisees and Saducees sitting around giving each other high-fives going, "We got Him!" Was the angry crowd that stood around mocking Him and demanding to see his body off celebrating with wine?

1 comment:

  1. Sara,
    A wise and thought provoking post.
    Balancing being a Christian mom/vet? It's very do-able! Because we don't work 9-5, it's easier, in my opinion.
    I did have Chickie in day care for 12-16 hours a week, but I always had her with me when I wasn't working. We were able to do lots of fun things during the daytime, or evenings. I did preschool the same way - she was there when I worked.
    Our work shifts are 8:30-2, Surg am and 5-closing, 2-closing. I usually didn't work the 2-closing, so I could pick her up after school. I was also a single parent for the first 8 years, but our clinic is very family friendly, and after she was a few years old, I would bring her in with me for an hour or so a couple of times a week. She was very well behaved and it was easy for us to do.
    Note: I only worked 25 hours per week, even when I was single. Currently I work a couple more hours a week, but the way we run appts it is equivalent to full time. I've been truly blessed!

    ReplyDelete