Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Housing Concerns

When Scott and I got married, his Grandpa completely remodeled (as in gutted) this cute little one bedroom house that was built behind his house. The previous owner had a daughter that had moved back to Bowie to teach school and they built her a little place of her own. Grandpa made the kitchen a little bigger, knocked out the wall between the living room and bedroom to make it an efficiency and replaced literally everything except the 2 ceiling fans and toilet. The result is the cute little house that we have made home for the past 2 years.

Living Room
Kitchen


I love this house. We have made it a home and definitely made it ours. It does get small at times and it gets cluttered fast because everything is so close and has it's place. We went through our "honeymoon" and then our "adjustment" phase here together. We've worked through many problems and it's the only place we can relax together. So many memories in such a short amount of time.

But.... as my dear friend Salli once lamented, "I have no place for a crib!!!" Yes, I know that newborns don't take up much space- really they just need a bassinet, maybe a swing or something (at this point, sadly, I don't really know). But there are other things that I know I'll need and don't have- like storage for one. A bathtub or large sink to clean it for another. The whole house, except the bathroom, is basically one room and we have enough trouble with all of our junk without having to figure out where to stash bottles, diapers, clothes and so much more.

We have looking into buying something in town, and yes, it is a buyer's market. The problem there is that it's almost impossible to find something worth buying that is in a good neighborhood, isn't run down, and is pretty much move in ready- all for a price that we can afford. I gave Scott a deadline of Thanksgiving to be moved. It's October 18th. Good luck....

Don't get me wrong; I'm not picky, I'm not wanting anything extravagant, I don't need everything perfect. I do need and want a place to call our own. And I need to start nesting and preparing so that I can get excited about our baby getting here and having a place to be a family. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm super stressed about where we're going to live and getting settle in. And I know that's not good for the baby. It's just that everything is soooo up in the air and that traditionally hasn't worked for me- some of you are shaking your head.

So the search continues.....

1 comment:

  1. I wish you tons of luck Sara. Blake and I moved from Tucson to Frisco while I was 7 months pregnant and we didn't find a place for a month. It isn't easy to move while pregnant and wanting to get settled somewhere. I'll be praying you guys find something you'll find suitable and that your move will be easy.

    ReplyDelete