Friday, August 24, 2012

Tough week

Quick vent so I can move on:

It's been a rough week at the Holloway home.

Scott's great Grandma Vera who is 98 had to have surgery to remove a necrotic facial mass. She did grat during anesthesia and is recovering well, but the mass was more invasive than they thought, the weren't able to get it all, and had to cut wider margins than they had planned, so there's a good chance that here skin won't be able to hold the sutures well. We think she is coming home today, so that's good.

Kenton has been in Lubbock since Tuesday with her. When would anyone think they would have to be the primary caretaker for his grandmother? I'm sure he is emotionally and physically exhausted. Also, the man hates to be gone from home (more acurately, from the dairy) so I'd be willing to bet he's getting impatient.

So, since Kenton's been gone, Scott's been in charge of the dairy and working longer hours than usual, as in 4 am to 8 or 9 pm. He's worn out and burnt out. We've seen each other less than an hour a day, right before bed, you know, when we're at our best. He hasn't held his son since Sunday and has only laid eyes on him twice, in his car seat, at the dairy, for about 5 minutes each time. My prayer is that he doesn't unravel before his dad gets home.

Coleman is finally over his stomach virus, but quite sleeping at daycare, which meant that he quit sleeping at night, so I had been up with him 4 or 5 times a night. We had a chat about that with the daycare staff and may have finally broken that over-tired cycle. He slept great Wednesday night and did okay last night, but woke up at 6 this morning. I forgot to leave them his bottle this morning and they were fighting to put him down for a nap when I got there, so showed them what I do and then left- maybe that worked.

On top of all this, I threw my back out last Monday (changing a diaper). I can't take any kind of pain mess except Tylenol (which turns my milk pink, gross!) so it took a while to get over it. The I did it again yesterday morning. Do you have any idea how much fun it is to give a baby a bath, change diapers, nurse, rock, carry, and pick a baby up out of a crib with a super painful back? Jolena, I know you hear me. Also, this incident really shed some light on who takes care of the house. But I can't get mad, because he hasn't been home long enough to get a decent night's sleep in several weeks.

Okay, rant over. The weekend will be here in 6 hours. Plans are to keep Coleman up way past his bed time (I know....) to go see Daddy play his last softball game of the season tonight. Tomorrow, C and I are headed East to go see my best vet school friend Amanda and her new baby Landon; she hasn't met Coleman either, so it should be fun! Sunday is our preacher's last day to serve our congregation, so we have a big fellowship meal planned and then it's family day! I also have hopes of getting a few more things done in Coleman's room - here's to wishful thinking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment