Friday, April 13, 2012

Argh!

Some things that have been bugging me lately.

Rant #1: When people ask me if Coleman is sleeping through the night yet. He's a newborn and needs to eat every 3-4 hours, so by the time I get him fed, burped, changed, and asleep again, it's at least been an hour, maybe 2. Then I have to get myself back to sleep. So, I don't know about you, but I never considered 2-3 hours a full nights sleep. Note: mostly, it is men that ask that question and then they laugh about it. I'm pretty sure that they, like Scott, are getting 6-7 hours in because, somehow, they magically don't hear the baby crying.

Rant #2: When people look at me with pity when I say I'm going back to work full time. Yes, it would be great if I could stay home, and I know that it's the greatest job in the world. And I'm acutely aware that most of my family and several friends have gotten to become stay-at-home moms. BUT, that's not really even an option for us right now, and I'm not sure that I'm cut out to be a fully stay at home mom. Also, several of my very best friends (Jolena, Amanda, you are my heros) have been very successful both as professionals and as Mommies. In a perfect world, I'd love to be part time: I maintain my license and identity and professional skills, my child gets socialized via day care or at least gets to know other people and isn't at home with me all day. So, if you really want to help me feel better, don't feel sorry for me (that makes it worse) but encourage me and point out the good that could come of this. Thanks.

Rant #3: When someone assumes that just because my baby is crying that he's hungry. I am breastfeeding, so there's no way to know how many ounces and what percent fat he's getting at every meal. But he's growing, he has adequate wet and dirty diapers, and is perfectly content after most feedings. But, like all babies, sometimes he doesn't eat well (he tends to fall asleep, or get lazy, and he likes to nurse himself to sleep) and he has a very fussy time of day, accompanied by a temper. He has gotten more and more sensitive to needing a diaper change and he gets overtired very very easily (because he's so busy taking in the world around him). And he tends to get gassy- especially if he didn't eat properly. And, he doesn't really like to be held by very many people- even Scott can't console him when he's fussy. So, instead of jumping to the conclusion that he's hungry, maybe cut us some slack and look for another cause of his distress.

Rant #4: Someone telling me, "You're going to spoil that baby!" He's 6 weeks old- read a book! They will all tell you the same things: 1) You can't spoil a newborn, 2) Newborns don't have the ability to calm themselves, and 3) During the first 2-3 months, you do whatever you can to get through it. He's happy when he's held (I think he may be high-maintenance or strong willed). That's why I hold him most of the day and sleep more often lounging in the chair with him on my chest than in my bed. It might be hard to break him later, but I'd rather have spent the past 6 weeks soaking in every second than regretting making him independent this early (see Rant #2).

That is all, for now.

3 comments:

  1. sara, you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You tell 'em Momma! I hate it when people do stuff like that. I especially hated this comments from Blake's aunt, "Well, that's not how we did it when y'all were little and you didn't die." What? And we didn't die? That's was a possible outcome of how you did something? Geez! Another thing that drives me crazy is how my mom and mother-in-law think they know more than Ryan's pediatrician!!! Oh really, you went to college for years and years and years and studied children's medicine? Yeah, I didn't think so!

    Follow your instincts and do what you like. Different strokes for different folks! And you know what, it will be great to get out of the house and work and come home to your beautiful family at the end of the day. Sometimes I have my sister-in-law or Mom babysit so that I can get out, and I always come home happier and a better mommy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ashley. I'm sure being exhuasted myself and uber-emotional makes me super sensative to everything, but good grief! No one else has spent 24 hours a day with Coleman for the past 6 weeks, so I don't know why they think they know what's best for him. Also, most suggestions don't help b/c I've either tried them and it didn't work or isn't recommended by my pediatrician for some very important medical reason (i.e. "he'll sleep better on his tummy b/c he'll feel more secure"). I'm not too proud to ask for help, but when I want it, I'll ask for it. Okay, enough.

      Delete