Monday, February 14, 2011

The Greatest is Love

My views on these terms have changed somewhat since marriage, perhaps because I never knew before what it was to truly allow myself to love another:


Love is PATIENT There’s a good reason this one is listed first. And it means something different to everyone, and something very personal to me.

Love is KIND This one sounds easy, of course you are kind to everyone, that’s just common courtesy. But it’s easy to take for granted those that are closest to you, especially your husband.

It does NOT ENVY Haven’t mastered this one yet, not even close, not when other couples are getting to enjoy a normal newly-wed period, and are much younger and have no pressure to rush things

It does NOT BOAST You never boast about how well your marriage is going without giving humble thanks to the one who invented love, respect, admiration, and marriage.

It is NOT PROUD I used to think this meant being proud of my husband. Nope, it means personally not being too proud to admit when you’re wrong or when you need your husband’s strength and support.

It is NOT RUDE You know when you’re just really ticked off about something totally unrelated to your husband and then he says something just at the wrong time? That is the time when you have to bite your tongue.

It is NOT SELF-SEEKING Marriage is a blending of two lives to live to one common purpose, to live as a Christian couple. So no, you can’t be self-seeking as a wife or a husband. You are always seeking for ways to make your spouse’s life better, easier, and more worth living.

It is NOT EASILY ANGERED I used to get mad about stupid stuff like leaving the milk jug in the sink, leaving clothes everywhere. It’s still a struggle to not get frustrated, but I try to save the anger for real fights.

It keeps NO RECORD of WRONGS It’s easy to forget the big fights: you get everything out in the open, you yell and throw all kinds of mud, then you both cry, hold each other, remember why you got married and … make up. What is hard to forget is all of the little times you let each other down: when you come home and are too tired to greet the person you love more than anything in the world or when you don’t make each other feel special on special occasions- those time that make you feel… underwhelmed.

Love does NOT DELIGHT in EVIL So far, I’ve not found a way to relate this one to marriage, but I think it still goes back to loving your enemies. Admittedly, the only time I would wish harm on someone is when I can’t stand to be in the same room with them. A major fault, I know.

But REJOICES with the TRUTH The truth is that God is our Savior. The truth is that He intended for Scott and I to be husband and wife. The truth is that we were obedient and followed His plan for our life together. In that, I rejoice.

It always PROTECTS I protect our marriage with everything I have. Any time I start to feel that something is creeping in that may harm us, I put up strong defenses (or offense) against it. I also protect Scott, some might call it making excuses for him, but I am the person that understands him most.

Always TRUSTS I used to be fairly trusting in the human race. Then I grew up. I still believe in the greater good in people, but as far as truly trusting others, I keep very closed. But I trust Scott implicitly. I trust his judgment, his leadership, his heart.

Always HOPES I’ll admit that this is a hard one for me. Important things have fallen through for me and my family so many times. But I cannot but have hope in our marriage and in Scott. No matter how many times I’ve been let down, I always have hope.

Always PERSEVERES Yes, every day of a marriage takes work. We must persevere.

Love NEVER FAILS God is love, God cannot fail, therefore, love will never fail.

To my husband, you mean so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment