Wednesday, August 17, 2011

First Doctor's Appointment

August 11, 2011

Today we both went to our first doctor's appointment. I think it's the only time I've ever been excited to go to that doctor. I'm not going to lie, I had several expectations, and they were all met, thankfully. I'm not sure there's any worse combination than a first-time pregnant woman and a veterinarian. I know just enough to be dangerous. And I've read books and done some internet-searching (which irritates the fire out of me as a vet).

So, my expectations. One, I wanted, no, needed to know that our baby was healthy and growing at a normal rate. Check! Everything felt normal to Dr. Kyle and the brief ultrasound showed that he or she actually measured ahead of the calendar due date. I hadn't ultrasounded myself in about 10 days and I couldn't believe the changes. Last time, it was a peanut shaped blob with a heartbeat that moved. This time, it had visible arms and legs and head and a heartbeat and moved. And Scott was there to see it. Oh. Wow.

Second, I wanted to know that I was healthy. I feel healthy and I knew that I'd been getting into shape just for the purpose of hopefully having a healthy pregnancy. But it helped to hear it from a human medical professional. And I got all of my questions answered and all of the reassurance I needed. Until next time.

And finally, and maybe most importantly- Scott was there. I don't know how exactly to put into words what that means to me. He's involved, he's calm, he's excited, he sorta knows what's going on. I don't know, but having him there meant the world to me, and I can't wait to be a parent with him. :)

Stats from the appointment:
  • Calendar due date: March 6, 2012 (Kenton's birthday, and you'd better believe he going to hold me to it!)
  • Ultrasound measurement due date: March 1, 2012
  • Crown to rump length: 4.2 cm
  • Weight gain: 2 pounds
  • No official heart rate- but very fast, regular and strong!
And, of course, here's the sonogram:



The middle picture is the best, the bottom one is cut off but wasn't great anyhow. Look at those tee-tiny arms and legs!!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment